FB Pixel

Brewing School at Eastfield College Dallas, TX

Boettcher Brewery Consultant is pleased to be a part of teaching the formal brewing education program at the DCCCD the Dallas County Community College District at Eastfield Community College in Dallas. The program provides much-needed education in the field of brewing and malting, with a variety of brewing classes offered throughout the year.

Classes range from Journeyman Brewer to the advanced Technical Brewer Certification program. The Technical Brewer Certification program consists of 2 classes, the Applied Brewing Science Class and the Advanced Brewing Practices Class.

The Eastfield College Brewery Program is the only one of its kind in the southern region of the United States. It provides highly qualified employees for the workforce’s demand for certified brewers in the booming craft beer industry in Texas and the region. It does so through face to face, hybrid and online instruction. Specifically, the Journeyman Brewer Program directly partners with more than 20 local breweries that provide live learning labs at their facilities for 40 percent of the instruction, with the other 60 percent happening at Eastfield through a traditional classroom setting. Since its creation, the EFC Brewery Program has produced a 98 percent job placement rate and will continue to do so by expanding its partnerships. The pairings of these classes are a pipeline that enables the hobby-beer-lover to become a head brewmaster and/or craft-beer business owner.

Journeyman Brewer

This is an educational program tailored to the needs of Micro, Craft and Industrial Brewing personnel working within the production side of the brewing industry. The program teaches basic understanding of all aspects of the brewing process, including machinery and equipment for packaging. It provides students with essential knowledge of the raw material used in brewing and in technical and technological aspects of the entire brewing process. It also includes an introduction to basic quality control analysis.

Journeyman Brewer includes a two-week practical brewing Internship at a local brewery where students are immersed into the day-to-day brewery operations.

After passing a final examination students are highly qualified for a responsible brewer position within the brewing industry. This course is also ideal for passionate home-brewers who seek to get their foot into the door of professional brewing at the same time remaining relevant to current brewery personnel.

Technical Brewer Certification program (Online Program)

The Technical Brewer Certification program is an advanced educational program in Brewing Technology and Brewing Operations Management. It’s tailored to the needs of Leadership in the Brewing Industry and provides the necessary theoretical and practical background for Lead Brewers and Head Brewers to successfully manage and Lead Brewing Operations. The Technical Brewer Certification program consists of 2 classes. The Applied Brewing Science Class and the Advanced Brewing Practices Class.

Applied Brewing Science
This advanced brewing course provides students with a deeper understanding of the technical, technological, and quality aspects of the brewing process. It covers the entire brewing process from raw materials and brew house technology to fermentation-technology, as well as the filtration and packaging process. Students also gain a deeper understanding of Quality Management systems and cleaning/sanitation practices with the ability to apply these skills within brewing operations.

Advanced Brewing Practices
This course teaches detailed knowledge and the skills necessary to effectively lead and manage the daily operations of a production brewery. It emphasizes the practical operational side of brewing management and leadership tasks. It also covers advanced scheduling techniques, proper reconciliation and efficiency calculation throughout the production areas, understanding and monitoring of key process indicators. Additional material includes process optimizations and Project Management.

Requirements

  • 21 years or older
  • Completion of the Journeyman Brewer Certificate (or equivalent) or pass an assessment test
  • 1 year of practical brewing experience